Job Title: Certified Dental Assistant
Program: Dental Clinic
Location: 455 East Hastings St. Vancouver, BC V6A 1P5
Status: Full or Part Time, Permanent
Wages: $26.00–30.00/hour + benefits* and pension
Clinic Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00–5:00 + 1 Saturday per month
* Benefits available for employees working 20+ hours/week
Closing Date: Open until filled
Vancouver Aboriginal Health Society (VAHS) is a not-for-profit organization located in the Downtown Eastside (DTES) community for over 30 years. Our services are designed by and for urban Aboriginal people to promote physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wellness. VAHS programs include a cultural team of Elders, Traditional Healers, and Knowledge Keepers; a comprehensive Primary Care Clinic; a Dental Clinic with by-donation services; and Indigenous Early Years programs for children and families.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Certified Dental Assistant provides clinical and administrative assistance with a team that delivers primary dental health care to the patients of the VAHS Dental Clinic. This position provides assistance to professional dental staff and performs Dental Assistant duties needed for well-rounded operations.
We are seeking to hire at least two Certified Dental Assistants for Full Time or Part Time positions. Full Time availability is preferred.
The Starting Wage range is $26.00–30.00/hour, based on qualifications and alignment with the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities in this posting. This position is subject to inclusion in the BCGEU Collective Agreement. Benefits and pension are offered after three months.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist Dentists with all aspects of dentistry performed
- Clean, disinfect, sterilize, and maintain instruments and equipment
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of dental and medical health records, as directed by Dentists
- Ensure practice standards are met with respect to infection controls
- Expose, process, and display dental radiographs
- Monitor, replenish, and store dental supplies in appropriate locations
- Educate patients on oral health
- Prepare treatment and clinical areas
- Perform prophylaxis and fluoride treatments as required
- Prepare dental materials as required
- Support with administrative duties as required
- Valid certification as a Dental Assistant
- New graduates are welcome. Prior experience as a Dental Assistant is an asset
- Additional certifications and training are assets
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Attention to detail
- Fluency in English (verbal and written). Additional languages are assets
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Good computer skills
- Well-organized and reliable
VAHS encourages all people with relevant professional, grassroots, education, and/or lived experience to apply, even if they do not meet all of the points listed. We look for people who are committed to ongoing learning and development, and we will train the successful candidate.
We strongly encourage people from under-represented communities to apply, including but not limited to: Indigenous, Black, and people of colour; disabled people; and 2SLGBTQIA+ people of all genders. In alignment with Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis, Inuit) applicants are preferred. In your cover letter, please self-identify at your comfort level.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application or questions about this posting to: [email protected]
ATTN: Lex Vides, Dental Program Director
Subject Line: Dental Assistant Application
In your application, please indicate if you are applying for a Full time or Part Time position.
All VAHS job applications require a resume and a cover letter; please submit both in PDF format. This posting will remain open until filled. VAHS thanks all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.