Support health and healing for all by becoming a member of Vancouver Aboriginal Health Society
We are now seeking:
- General Membership
- Board of Directors (1 position, 3-year term)
To apply for membership, complete the application form at the bottom of this page and email it to [email protected]
For Board of Directors applications, please email the completed membership form, a CV/resume, and a cover letter.
We value all levels of professional, grassroots, education, and lived experience. To ensure we are meeting the needs and priorities of our community, we strongly encourage current/former VAHS clients and Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis, Inuit) people in the Vancouver area to become a member.
New Members and Directors will be confirmed at the next VAHS Annual General Meeting.
All applicants will receive a meeting package and Zoom invite via email. A $1.00 annual membership fee will be due for all approved members. Submitting an application does not guarantee approval.
Why become a member?
As a member of VAHS, you can:
- Support the VAHS purposes, vision, and mission
- Help grow VAHS programs and services
- Be a part of strategic planning and policy development
- Elect the Board of Directors and apply for open Board positions
- Gain experience in not-for-profit governance
- Participate in committees and special events
- Advocate for issues important to you
- Connect with other members
- Vote in general meetings
- Give back to your community
Member duties include:
- Attending the Annual General Meeting and other special/general meetings
- Participating in committees and events (encouraged, but not required)
- Being accountable to all VAHS by-laws
Board of Directors duties include:
- Appointing, supporting, and evaluating the Executive Director
- Strategic planning and high-level policy development
- Participating in one or more committees
- Approving and monitoring annual budgets
- Being accountable to all VAHS by-laws and legal/ethical responsibilities
- Collaborating with community partners and stakeholders
- Attending 4–5 Board of Directors meetings per year, the Annual General Meeting, committee meetings, and special meetings as needed
Director requirements (per the Societies Act):
- At least 18 years old
- Be an individual (not an organization or corporation)
- Be capable of managing own affairs
- Not be undergoing bankruptcy
- Has not been convicted of fraud or a corporate offence in the last 5 years
- Not be employed by VAHS
Directors must disclose any conflict of interest that prevents them from acting in the best interests of VAHS (financial, social, and/or political gains).