Vancouver Aboriginal Health Society (VAHS) is a not-for-profit organization and registered charity located in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver. We have provided a variety of health and social services since 1991 with a mission to improve and promote the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health of individuals, with a focus on the urban Indigenous community in Metro Vancouver.
We are currently seeking a Part Time Registered Dental Hygienist to join the VAHS Dental Clinic team.
The Registered Dental Hygienist provides clinical and administrative assistance within a team that delivers primary oral dental care to the patients of the VAHS Dental Clinic. This position assists dental staff and performs Hygiene treatments to support patient oral health.
This position reports directly to the Dental Program Director. Staff evaluations will be performed by the Director annually each April.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clean, disinfect, sterilize, and maintain hygiene/dental instruments and equipment.
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of records as directed by Dentist.
- Ensure practice standards are being met with respect to infection control.
- Expose/process/display dental radiographs.
- Monitor, replenish, and store dental supplies.
- Educate patients on oral health care.
- Perform probing, prophylaxis, fluoride, and other Hygiene treatments as required.
- Preparation of dental materials and treatment/clinical areas as necessary.
- Support and assist Dentists with all aspects of dentistry performed.
- Triage of patients as they arrive.
- Gather information from patients as directed by front desk personnel.
- Manage patient inquiries and concerns.
- Support any aspects needed to organize student clinics with local dental schools.
- Support, train, and schedule volunteers to meet clinic needs.
- Support the front desk personnel to order supplies when needed.
- Valid certification as a Registered Dental Hygienist. New graduates are welcome.
- Additional certification or training is an asset.
- Attention to detail.
- Fluency in English (verbal and written). Additional languages are an asset.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Good computer skills are a must.
- Proven experience as a Hygienist is an asset.
- Well-organized and reliable.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Competitive market salary ($48–$60.00 CAD/hour, based on experience).
- Annual salary raises on Apr 1.
- Extended health benefits available after 3 months if working 20+ hours/week.
We encourage all qualified people to apply. Pursuant to section 41 of the Human Rights Code, Indigenous applicants are preferred for this position.
This position is included in the upcoming BCGEU Collective Agreement. The hours of work, days off, and work area may be subject to change, consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Please email your current resume with a cover letter to: [email protected]
ATTN: Lex Vides
Subject Line: Dental Hygienist Application
This posting is open until filled. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.